Sunday, April 14, 2013

...and in another country across the ocean.

It's the little things...Oreo cookies, Skippy peanut butter, Hello Kitty, McDonalds and Starbuck. These are some of the things that make me feel like maybe I haven't moved so far from the country I've called home for 34 years. But then there are all the signs I can't read, the orientation meetings I sit through with very little understanding about what is being talked about, the teeny tiny cars driving on the wrong side of the road (oops the left side of the road) and all the umbrellas! The umbrellas! I really know I'm not in Kansas, errr Oregon, anymore when I look out onto the sea of umbrellas! No Goretex to be seen, not a wet head, or soaked coat in sight, nothing but a sea of bobbing umbrellas. These are just a few of the things that remind me daily I'm in the opposite side of the world from everyone I know and love, but it's all worth it because everyday I wake up and I'm excited that I'm here.

P.S Those umbrellas don't do you any good when the wind is swirling around you and pulling it out of your hand. You'll wish you'd grabbed your jacket on the way out of the door when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment